Royal Sun Alliance plc’s Global Risk Solutions division maintained a dedicated application for Ministry of Defence Employer Liability (MOD EL) Claims management from 1996 to 2002.
The application was used infrequently yet compliance regulations required that the data could never be retired. In 2010, Royal Sun Alliance plc (RSA) embarked on a decommissioning initiative to update its systems to a new platform.
The challenge was to help RSA to decommission this application and maintain the same level of access to the data records, quickly and cost-effectively.
• Implement DataNovata: The Enterprise Application Data Bridge, and convert the data over to SQL Server with all the relationships intact.
• Generate an XML, Java-based, DataNovata application that mirrors the original application enquiry screens.
Consult with claims management and technical support to specify the application functionality, design the application then port the data from its current host:
• PowerBuilder v5 desktop application
• Sybase RDBMS v 11.9.20
• HP/UX production server
• Over 4,000 MOD EL claims on file
• This project took 3 months from start to completion, using remote access to the HP/UX Server.
• RSA successfully decommissioned its MOD EL application and retained the same functional level of accessibility to the claims data.
• DataNovata helped RSA to achieve its IT cost optimization strategy.
“We recognized that we needed to implement an archiving solution as part of our application rationalization programme. We chose DataNovata as it provided us with a secure and on-demand method of retrieving legacy data from decommissioned applications.”
Giles Baxter, UK & IS Change Director, RSA
Barlow House, 4 Minshull Street,
Manchester, M1 3DZ, UK
31 Disera Drive, Suite 250
Cortijada los Rincones de Mizala
Calle Mizala, 1